Carob powder is a delicious natural sweetener made from the beans of the carob pod. Carob pods are also used to make locust bean gum and have been a important source of sugar before the cultivation of sugarcane or sugar beet.
The carob pods grow on the the carob tree is a flowering evergreen shrub that’s native to warm, Mediterranean regions and a member of the humble pea family.
Organic carob powder is typically light brown in colour and boasts a surprisingly rich, chocolate-like flavour.
It contains absolutely no caffeine and zero theobromine, making it particularly ideal for those who wish to avoid these stimulants. Carob powder is teeming with beneficial nutrients, such as B vitamins, the minerals calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, manganese, chromium, copper and nickel, as well as plenty of protein and fibre.
Carob is often regarded as nutritious, with as much vitamin B1 as asparagus or strawberries; as much niacin as lima beans, lentils, or peas; and more vitamin A than aubergine, asparagus, and beetroots.
Carob Powder Benefits
- Carob powder is a delicious natural sweetener that can be used to enhance both sweet and savoury dishes.
- Carob contains approximately 8% protein and is a good source of fibre.
- Compared to chocolate, carob is three times richer in calcium, has one third less calories and seventeen times less fat.
- Carob powder contains B vitamins.
- Carob powder contains the minerals, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, manganese, chromium, copper and nickel.
- Carob powder also contains protein and fibre.
- Our carob powder has been certified organic by "Organic Farmers & Growers".
How To Use Carob Powder
Carob powder boasts a mild, sweet, chocolate-like flavour. Try adding it to your favourite smoothies, shakes and protein drinks, as well as desserts and other sweet treats for perfect results every time.
Carob Powder Recipe - Carob Milkshake
A delicious chocolate milkshake flavoured using caffeine-free carob powder instead of cacao, making it perfectly suitable for any time of day. Ideal for children, as well as all those with a particularly sweet tooth!